Chef Davis recently visited Krueger Pepper Gardens in Wapato, Yakima Valley, to interview the owner, Gayle Krueger, and learn the story behind the wonderful peppers he was featuring on the Canyon River Grill menu. In this interview he learns about their varieties of pepper, melons, corn and other produce which you can pick yourself.
Krueger Pepper and Potato Soup
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- Olive canola blend oil
- 6 large red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Tabasco, to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons shredded cucumber
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- Squeeze lemon juice
- In a large heavy based saucepan, cover the base lightly with oil and saute the cumin seeds with the garlic, carrot and celery over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Add peppers and potatoes and cook, stirring 2-3 minutes until aromatic.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Cover pan and cook until potato is tender, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a blender or use an immersion blender to puree the soup and season to taste with salt, pepper and Tabasco. Return to pan to just reheat.
- Mix together Cucumber Yogurt ingredients in a small bowl.
- Spoon soup into bowls and top with Cucumber Yogurt.
Halibut with Pepper Salad
4 x 8 ounce fillets wild halibut
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ cup roasted almonds
- 2 ounces croutons
- 1 large pepper, roasted seeded and peeled
- 3 tomatoes, broiled for 2 minutes each side until charred
- ½ red onion, roasted
- 1 teaspoon Spanish Paprika
- 2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- ¼ – ½ cup olive oil
- Salt, pepper and Tabasco, to taste
- 6 heirloom peppers – select a mixed variety such as red, green, orange, Poblano, Anaheim)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 ounce extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup finely diced cucumber
- 2 ripe tomatoes, finely diced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- To serve, sliced steamed potatoes
- To make the Romesco Sauce, place garlic in blender and pulse until finely chopped, add the almonds and repeat process followed by the croutons. Add pepper, tomatoes, onion, paprika and blend, adding vinegar then olive oil in a slow stream until desired consistency. Transfer to a bowl and adjust seasoning with salt and Tabasco.
- Roast the mixed peppers, allow to cool in a zip lock bag, then deseed and peel. Tear into rags. Toss with salt and pepper.
- Toss with the lemon, oil, cucumber, tomato, cilantro. Set aside.
- Grill the halibut until fish just flakes.
- To serve, place potatoes on plate, top with pepper salad then arrange fish on top. Spoon over Romesco sauce.
- 2 cups diced ripe Alepo Watermelon (or watermelon of choice)
- 1 small red onion, shaved
- Juice and grated zest of 1 lime
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
- 3 ounces Cotija Cheese
- Place the watermelon in a large bowl with the red onion. Whisk the oil, lime juice and zest, add salt and chili powder to taste. Toss gently through the watermelon and onion.
- Place in bowls, and sprinkle with Cotija Cheese.